Monday, July 05, 2010

Summary of #iEVOBIO Day 2, #phylogenetics #informatics #opensource #biodiversity #evolution

This is a continuation of notes on iEVOBIO meeting.  Much of this comes from twitter.  Additional comments will be posted over the next few days.  See notes on Day 1 here. Note - thanks to the people who answered my query on twitter about how to remove spurious html code from pages - I wrote this post a few days ago but somehow the copying and pasting I did from twitter broke blogger with some weird html.  I ended up using Zubrag which was suggested by brendanwlocke.

Day 2. Beginning.

Since I was leaving that PM I could not borrow a hotel bike and bike over again.  So I walked from the hotel, along the river 2 or so miles, after getting coffee.  I got to the meeting a bit late and thus missed much of the opening Keynote, which was a bummer since it seemed very good.  But I find if I do not get some exercise every day at a meeting I go crazy so it was worth it.  Here are some notes on Day 2.

Day 2. Part 1. Keynote

Alas, I missed much of the keynote.  But what I caught was good.  Here are some notes, mostly from twitter. And also see Rob G's slides below


Rob Guralnick: Biodiversity Discovery and Documentation in the Information and Attention Age



    Day 2. Part 2. Short talks.
    Day 2. Part 3. Lunch

    Went to lunch with a small group to the People's Sandwich of Portland.  Took the light rail over the river.  Portland has some really nice features - like free light rail in the city.

    Day 2. Part 4. Lightning Talks

    Day 2. Part 5. Birds of a feather


    Then there were breakout sessions which were called "Birds of a feather"  I went to one discussing open access and fair use issues. 

    Day 2. Part 6. Wrap up and other general information

    And then I had to go home.  The meeting wrapped up as I was leaving. Here are some ending tweets:
    Some other general info tweets:
    Post meeting posts and blogs

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Most recent post

    My Ode to Yolo Bypass

    Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...