Thursday, October 09, 2008

Nature using Creative Commons license for genome papers

A new paper that just came out by friends and colleeagues of mine from my days at TIGR (Comparative genomics of the neglected human malaria parasite : Plasmodium vivax) reminded me I wanted to blog about how it is a good thing that Nature is using a Creative Commons License for some (maybe all) genome sequencing papers they publish (at least in the main Nature journal). They do not use the fully open CC license that PLoS/BMC use but hey, it is better than many other journals who claim they are making this "Open."

The license they use is
"This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/), which permits distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. This licence does not permit commercial exploitation, and derivative works must be licensed under the same or similar licence."
Too bad they do not do this for all the papers they publish. Maybe Chris Gunter can convince them to do that even though she is now at Hudson Alpha. I think when she was at Nature she helped convince them to do this for genome papers.

3 comments:

  1. I think they making all of their genomes papers freely available. They announced this here a while back (I'm guessing you saw it). Does this differ from the creative commons licence?

    Graham Coop

    ReplyDelete
  2. seems like that is when they switched to cc licenses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this policy applies across all Nature publications, as our recent paper in Nature Genetics on comparative resequencing of Typhi genomes is freely available under the CC license.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...