Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Performance enhancing drugs - I confess

Yup, that is right. I took steroids today. I hope this does nto rule out my chances of getting into the hall of fame. But hey, I am going to be up front about it so I wanted to post here in case there is a future investigation into performance enhancing drugs among scientists.

What I took was cortisone, by injection for tendinitis in my fingers. The shot, given by a doctor, hurt like nothing else. But I needed it to recover from an injury. This injection hopefully will let me return in a few weeks to "normal" in terms of my typing. And I am sure all of you out there will be happy about that.

So - the question is - am I cheating? Or is using steroids to recover from an injury OK (see Andy Pettite). What if I got the steroids to make my typing faster. Would that be cheating?

3 comments:

  1. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

    What kind of message are you sending to the kids who want to grow up to be a major league metagenomicist? Now instead of staying up all night reading Lynch and contributing code to the Polonator project, they will be out on the streets trying to score Decalone and consorting with shady characters.

    I don't know how you can look at yourself in the mirror!

    ivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problem with it as long as you don't get the "Scientist's 'Roid Rage" - you know, where you go to conferences and then at the end of every talk you stand up from the back of the room and loudly ask the one question the speaker was most dreading to hear?... Oh, wait... nevermind.

    Doesn't your iphone read your mind and type for you?

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...